Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Another day, another town




I visited Totnes yesterday and even though I'm on the fence about the town and the atmosphere, I'll let my pics do some of the talking for me. 





These are pics I took along the beautiful river Dart. I found the scenery breathtaking!
The town itself was - or at least to me it seemed - built on a hill. So going up the high street was a climb. But it was worth it. It gave me a chance to glance at the shop fronts of little boutiques and novelty nooks. The whole place to me seemed to have the air of "I saw you coming". There's a sketch on Harry and Paul about it.
A lot of the shops were new age-y and most of them had the price tag to match!
Having said that, the infrastructure itself is worth seeing! Beautiful Elizabethan and Edwardian buildings with breathtaking windows.
John and I visited the Totnes Museum and St. Mary's Church. And although I'm not one to frequent churches as places of worship, I did enjoy the architecture and painstaking details. And of course the stained glass windows. It was, purely from a secular point of view, amazing!

I also have to give praise to the British way of respecting the old architecture and infrastructure. In stead of demolishing old buildings and erecting new ones, the old buildings are adapted and changed into shops and cafés. This way the old can co-exist with the new in harmony. And purpose and aesthetics can shake hands. 







Up the hill.

St Mary's Church.

Artsy

Artsy

Artsy.

So yes, I'm a bit touristy and a bit artsy. But I love taking pictures! I walk around with my little camera and shamelessly snap pics of things I find interesting.

Until next time!
x x

No comments:

Post a Comment