Sunday, July 21, 2013

Update



Hiya!


Yes, I am fully aware that it has been long since I last made an entry. So this is a bit of an update on what's been going on.


A friend of mine, Sanna came over! She brought over Finnish sweets! All the ones I like and have missed like mad. I managed to stave off munching both bags immediately, but alas, by now they are gone. It was so nice to have Sanna here, she's an ace person and we got on like a house on fire! :)
 

I showed her Torquay of course, and took her to Primark. I love the reaction Primark has on first-timers! I recognized it to be the same for Sanna than it was for me all those years ago. But nothing prepared me (or poor Sanna) for my reaction. I was so excited to wade Sanna through the experience that I inadvertently ended up nearly ruining it for her. So I took a bit of a breather every so often to let her take it all in on her own terms. I guess I could've been likened to a puppy dog. :D 
We also went to Teignmouth beach, and to Dartmoor. Sanna visited Dawlish and Exeter with John.

All and all it was brilliant! I got to talk to a Finn about life here, the consumerism, fashion, food etc. And because of Sannas ace personality, she quickly became more of a flatmate than a house guest.

We were also lucky enough to catch the parade that ran across town Saturday (13th) night.









The Mayor
 







This was my favourite!

 I almost forgot to tell about the Duck race! I bought two ducks because I was so excited. It was all part of the Carnival week. The Ducks were set down to the river that runs through our town and the first five ducks won a prize. I think mine weren't in it for the competition but to just participate. ;)

And I also saw Tractor pulling on the high street! And yes, it was a scheduled event, not just a farmer in trouble! :D

Here's some pics from Dartmoor. I know this is a shitty thing to say, but the only thing I could think of while looking at the landscape was "WE LIVE HERE!". It's so beautiful it's humbling! See for yourself!
 

The setting sun as seen from our living room.

My cool shoes.












As usual, I saved the best for last.
I have a job! :D I'm so SuperHappyExcitedOvertheMoonGrateful. It's a big company and I work in an office in an industrial estate. My co-workers are amazing and my duties are just up my alley!

Of course I was nervous and worried when I started last Monday. But the help and support from my team has been so overwhelming, I feel nothing but excitement. I can't wait for Monday to come so I can go to work.

And yes, a few things are different compared to the Finnish working life. We have set rules about office attire, health and safety and working with customers. I'm kinda liking the work clothes/ office uniform thing, as it means that when I get home I change to my Me-time-clothes. And the rule is not arbitrary, it makes sense. 
Also the appreciation for workers is different. Not much, but the devil is in the details. But I won't go into further detail, as this is my opinion and this is how I feel. Needless to say I have nothing to complain about.

Oh, and culinary news, I tried Mushy Peas and I loved them!
 

Ok, time to wrap this up as I'm going out to enjoy my Sunday.




All y'all take care now,

Lots of love

Me





 

No comments:

Post a Comment